Corn Seed Facts
Corn seed is known to be in existence since 1492 when Columbus first explored America. It started being exported to Europe instead of being imported. Corn is known by a variety of names depending upon in which corner of world we are concerned about. On the basis of its forms and varieties it is categorized as dent corn, flint corn, popcorn, waxy corn, pod corn and sweet corn. It finds a more useful range of applications in research too, be it in biochemistry, studying soil fertility, plant genetics or physiology. The pollens of corn form a golden and dense powder which has an inviolable but agreeable odor.
PLANTATION OF CORN:
There are few steps which should be taken very carefully for growing corn:
1) As an initiative we must take review of the climate of the area in which we are interested to germinate corn seeds since corn is a warm seasonal plant. The productivity of plant greatly depends on geographical features of the area picked out.
2) Now we should prepare the soil for better results. It doesn’t grow well in rocky soil and it needs deeper digging for the roots to sustain the weight and height of the plant.
3) Watering can never be overlooked when it comes to plantation since it meets the basic needs during germination. Similar situation should be kept under control counting upon the climate so that the seeds are wet enough for well-disposed maturation.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CORN SEEDS:
One of the main benefits of corn seeds is high amount of nutrients present. Some of them are listed below:
* Metabolism of carbohydrates in our body has become one of the main concerns of people nowadays after the alarming intake of them in one form or another.
* Physiological functions in our body yearn for high amount of Pantothenic acid known as Vitamin B5 which is also present in corn seeds.
* After a whole day of work, certainly human cells would be wearing away as an outcome of our daily activities. Folate which has a very crucial rank in our daily intake which is credited to be contributing for formation of new cells is present in large amount in corn seeds. It is highly required for expecting mothers.
*The savior of our body during our weak hours in Vitamin C, which fights lethal diseases, is also found in large amount in corn.
It has a very noteworthy purpose as provider of fiber to the body. If we take one cup of corn daily, we would be getting fiber in very high proportion which is about 19%. Fiber is very essential in lowering the cholesterol level in the body as well as it helps in lowering blood sugar levels in diabetes.
We can have corn in gobs of forms which could be soup or side dish garnished with chili and onion.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF CORN:
Due to heavy demand of corn seeds the farmers are being driven towards more and more plantation of this grain. Along with agricultural it assimilates environmental issues too. A very prompt potential impact of planting more corn is increased level of nutrient pollution in waterways which leaves them “oxygen starved”. Therefore taking into considerations, its vitality, we should impose checks and balance upon its growth.
WIDE UPSHOTS OF CORN SEEDS:
*As a result of separation of corn component what is left is corn germ. After pressing out of whole of the oil from corn germ, the residue is used for making industrial glue stronger which reduces the use of raisin required in the formula.
*Oil is produced by squeezing corn germ which is used for frying edibles.
*Tea brewed from cornsilk is used as one of the components of remedies available for urinary tract infections.
*Distilled alcohol from the grain known as bio fuel or ethanol is used for running gasoline powered cars worldwide.
With so many benefits that the corn promises, having some of your own in your garden would be a wonderful idea. Many online seed distributing companies allow you to access healthy, disease resistant and heirloom variety of corn seeds.