Do mice like light?
Do mice like light? If you have mice problems, then considering the different ways to get them out of your home might be top on your list. This post will share with you what things mice like, especially when it comes to light.
Some people might say that mice look cute and that they are more intelligent than dogs or cats. But having them in your home is wrenching. The sheer amount of damage these creatures cause with their scratching, gnawing, and chewing is horrible. When they become uninvited guests in your home, they eat things randomly, spreading diseases and damaging properties. This is why you might want to get rid of them. And doing that means learning their behaviors. One question you might ask is – do mice like light?
Mice are nocturnal animals
Mice are nocturnal, which means they are more active at night. So during the day, they might reside in your home without detection. But at night, they begin foraging for food. Mice do not like bright light and noises because they have poor eyesight and mostly rely on their sense of smell. However, considering this fact, you might want to have bright lights shining around your home at all hours. This is ineffective as mice can look for the darkest areas to hide within the house and crawl in dark spaces making their way around your home. So, you need a better deterrent to deal with mice infestation.
How to know if you have mice in your home
Besides actually seeing a mouse in your home, here are other obvious signs you are dealing with a mouse infestation. They include:
- Food wrappings or scraps in the most unusual places such as cabinets, closets, inside shoes, and boots. This is because mice are foragers and often hide their loot in those areas.
- Tiny hairs or black droppings
- Gnawed holes in your wooden furniture, piled papers, insulation, and stored food
- Noticeable grease or urine walls where dust and dirt had been swept. These trails are more apparent under black light and often serve as pathways for mice movement.
- Rank, stale or musty odors
- Scratching or skitting sounds from the ceiling, floor, or walls.
How to eliminate mice from your home
- Consider humane mouse traps: Mouse traps are excellent ways of preventing them from moving around in your home. Except for sticky traps, you might require bait for other types of mouse traps (electric traps, live catch traps, etc.). Bird seeds, peanut butter, and nuts are excellent to lure mice into the trap.
- Use a repellent: Rodent repellents are excellent for getting rid of mice from your home. These solutions will repel mice and keep them from returning to your home.
- Seal all entry points: Carefully search for possible entry points and seal them up. We recommend using steel wool or caulk for that purpose.
Do mice like light? No, they don’t and would avoid moving around in your home when there are bright lights. However, mice can always find a solution around this if you keep lights on at all times. They will seek the darkest corners as their moving points, so light is an ineffective mice deterrent. Fortunately, there are better ways to eliminate mice from your home. Consider using repellent and mouse traps to get rid of the infestation.