Can Someone Who Has Bed Bugs Bring Them To Your House?
Bed bugs infestations are annoying, how do you avoid them. Can someone who has bed bugs bring them into your home? You may have questions like this. In this article, we will address the little ways you can avoid having bed bugs from your friends and guests.
We do have guests from time to time, guests who visit for a few hours and those who stay for weeks and months. Since bed bugs can be a huge problem, you need to protect your home from bed bugs, especially when you have guests from time to time. Preventing an infestation is often better than dealing with the aftermaths. But, first, you need to understand whether a guest or friend who has bed bugs can bring them into your home.
How can bed bugs enter the home through someone who has them?
If your guests have bed bugs in their home, one or two-bed bugs can come along with them when they visit.
But you must bear in mind that these bed bugs can’t come along on their person. Bed bugs don’t attach to the immediate clothes we wear (except a coat), they avoid body heat as much as possible and are scared of movement. They don’t attach to the skin or hair and preferably come out at night. Bed bugs can only piggyback through clothes, shoes, bags and other items. So minimising the risk of bed bugs depends on how you handle the clothes or details of your guests.
How to keep someone who has bed bugs from bringing them to your home?
- Don’t let your guests enter your bedroom, especially with their coats and bags. You can clean the front closet and store their coats and belongings. After the visit, vacuum the closet thoroughly
- Use slipcovers to protect your furniture. Once your guests leave, launder and dry them at high heat.
- Invest in mattress encasement for your guest rooms
- If your guests bring gifts to your home, clean the items you can wash. Make sure you bag, seal and dispose of the packing boxes and wrapping papers properly.
- For overnight guests, offer to wash and dry their clothes without fully explaining the situation. Wash and dry their clothes at the highest possible temperature.
- If your guest will sleep on the couch, protect your sofa with a sheet and launder the sheet after they leave. Don’t forget to vacuum the couch as well.
- Make sure you place their suitcase and bags in plastic trash bags and tie them properly.
- Also, clean their shoes with hot water and a damp cloth or use the dryer.
So when plagued with the question, whether someone who has bed bugs can bring them to your house. You must realize that it is possible but through their item and belongings. If you take precautions and practice the steps above, you can avoid a bed bug infestation in your home.